One of the things I’ve learned is that a lot of being a
grownup is simply satisfying a certain role in a given moment. It’s not necessarily
about you as an individual; the people around you just need you to show up and
be satisfactory in that role. For example, I often play the role of professor
when meeting prospective students or parents or addressing the board of
trustees—everyone involved just wants me to be a professor, of the type I can
convincingly deliver, so I try to oblige. Indeed, they generally already expect
that I’m going to be a great professor—which has nothing to do with me, but
rather with their hopes and dreams for their student or the institution they
help steer.
Now I have a new role: Fulbright Scholar. Everyone here at
St Teresa’s has worked so hard to get a Fulbright Scholar assigned to the
college. They started an international center two years ago, began attending
conferences and networking with international agencies, made a connection with
USIEF (the United States India Educational Foundation, which administers
Fulbright in India) and made a good impression on the officers there, and then,
when the chance came that an unaffiliated scholar was looking for a placement
(me), the USIEF recommended them. They sealed the deal with an excellent Skype
interview for which they were so well prepared with ways for the Scholar to
interact with the college community, get involved, and be supported. They are
energetic, super-competent, and excited for the future, and the Fulbright
Scholar is part of their diversifying portfolio of international conferences
and events.
Needless to say, in my role as their Fulbright Scholar, I do
not want to let them down! I want to be who/what they need me to be. The trick
is that I don’t really understand this role yet. Mainly right now I’m trying to
be cheerful, non-difficult, and agreeable to most anything they suggest.
And this role has a dress code. The teachers at St Teresa’s
all wear saris every day—“very formal,” they told me, because of the Carmelite
nuns who direct the school. I asked very pointedly what I should wear. Influenced by my students, I was concerned about cultural appropriation on the one hand and fitting in respectfully on the other. (You
know I was hoping she would say the sari was required for me, too.) “You might
feel more comfortable in a kurta and leggings,” they told me politely, “but
don’t worry about the dupatta.” Since I felt I got permission from my team to wear Indian dress, I went
right out the first evening and bought myself a matching set. When I turned up
for the Christmas program in my new outfit, my new friends went bananas. They
loved that I had made the effort, I think, and one immediately pulled out her
wallet and bestowed on me one of the bindis she keeps stuck to her driver’s
license. The funny thing was, twice that afternoon, two different people
overlooked me in my Indian dress. “Where is she?” both the chief sister and the
principal asked, looking around for me. Just wearing that outfit caused me to
be much less visible. The chief sister laughed when she saw me standing right
next to her. “You seem very Indian anyway,” she said, “I told them that
yesterday after we met. Very Indian, except for your color. The husband and the
children, no—they are very American. But you, very Indian.”
Next step: sari shopping. It will take a little while to
build up to that. I really want to talk to my Indian students about the issue
of cultural appropriation—it is such a hot issue for my American students. Is
it respectful to wear Indian dress as a visitor, or NOT to wear it? It seems my
American students would have one answer, and my Indian students and colleagues,
another.

You are such a beautiful Fulbright professor woman!! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
ReplyDeleteYou look lovely, Amelia! And I think being cheerful, non-difficult and agreeable must certainly help make you seem "very Indian"!
ReplyDelete